Is your home a safe space for your pet? Unfortunately, many everyday items in your home can pose a significant risk to your pet’s health.

Here are a few dangers that may be lurking in your home and steps you can take to help keep your pet safe.

Cleaning Products

You probably spend plenty of time cleaning up messes in your home. Unfortunately, some of the ingredients in your cleaning products can be toxic to your pet. Some of these harmful ingredients include

  • Bleach
  • Ammonia
  • Formaldehyde
  • Chlorine
  • Phenols

When using products with these ingredients, read the label carefully and follow the manufactures instructions regarding appropriate use and dilution.

While cleaning, it’s best to keep your pet out of the area. This will help limit your pet’s exposure and prevent your furry friend from getting into cleaning products while you’re not looking. When cleaning the toilet bowl, consider putting the lid down to reduce your pet’s risk of drinking the toilet bowl cleaner. Likewise, avoid spraying aerosols in your pet’s presence.

Not only can cleaning products be toxic if consumed, but they can also cause chemical burns. It’s best to avoid using harsh cleaning products in areas that your pet frequents. When you are done cleaning, make sure all cleaning products are safely stored out of your pet’s reach.

Plants

Whether they are in your home or around your yard, many plants and flowers can put your pet in danger. The ASPCA’s Toxic Plant Guide is a phenomenal resource for identifying dangerous plants in your home. Their site offers photos to help you identify the plant and discusses what kind of symptoms your pet may experience if exposed.

While removing toxic plants from your home is the best way to keep your pet safe, accidents can happen. If you believe your pet has consumed a toxic plant, please give us a call. We can help you decide what additional treatment may be necessary. If you are unable to identify the plant, a plant clipping or picture can help us determine an appropriate treatment plan and get your pet the essential care they may need.

Personal Care Items

Have you ever noticed your pet licking your lotion after you’ve applied it? From lotions to toothpaste, Personal care items are a commonly overlooked danger in your home. Even though you may not use these products on your pet, your furry friend may still be exposed to the toxic ingredients.

Lotions often contain artificial fragrances that can be irritating to your pet’s sensitive nose. Additionally, some lotions and creams contain medication, including anti-inflammatory agents, that can be toxic. When using these products, make sure you wash your hands thoroughly and avoid letting your pet lick any product off of your skin.

Another personal care item of concern is toothpaste. Xylitol is a common ingredient in human toothpaste and is extremely toxic to pets. Even if you’re not using your toothpaste to brush your pet’s teeth, it’s essential to be mindful of its potential danger and keep your toothpaste out of your pet’s reach.

Give Us a Call!

Identifying the hidden toxins in your home is an essential part of keeping your pets healthy and safe. If your pet is exposed to a toxin or is experiencing symptoms such as vomiting or lethargy, please give us a call as soon as possible.

We hope this information will help make your home a safer place for your furry friends.

 

 

 

Image credit: Mariakray/Pixabay